In 2021, we will have Apple’s new AppleTV and Amazon’s FireTV, both of which can stream content from phone to smart TV and you won’t even need a cable box. But in between the two, there will be a new option. Roku.
I really want to stream the videos from my phone to my tv. I’ve tried all the different services and I’ve tried all the different ways to do it. Here is a new way to use your phone as a remote for your Roku that I just found. I am going to use my phone’s camera to stream from my phone to my Roku. I will take a picture from my phone and stream it to my Roku. It is easy and it is FREE.
Disclosure of partnerships : As an affiliate of Amazon, I make money from eligible purchases. Read more.
️ News: Logitech will no longer release the new Harmony remotes. However, the company says it will sell existing stock and support customers in the future. Read more.
Synopsis: In this article, I’m going to show you how to stream videos from your phone to Roku [your iOS or Android OS device]. I’ve included step-by-step instructions for mirroring and streaming your phone to Roku. It also works on iOS or Android tablets!
Do you like watching streaming videos on your phone?
Wouldn’t it be great if you could watch those same videos from Tik Tok, YouTube or your other favorite streaming apps/services on your giant flat screen TV?
The good news is that you can.
Sure, Roku has built-in apps with almost every major network, but sometimes it’s easier to mirror your phone or tablet to your PC.
That’s how it’s done.
It is important to note that screen mirroring is not the same as screen casting. Both are forms of streaming, but each has a different purpose. First, let me briefly explain the difference between the two.
Related: The 7 best universal remotes for Roku
What is the Roku screen mirror?
Mirror, mirror, on the wall…
Roku’s Screen Mirroring feature is a great way to view your smartphone’s content on the big screen. All you need is an iPhone or iPad and a Roku TV with Wi-Fi connection.
No cables are required for installation; however, the iPhone/iPad and Roku TV must be on the same Wi-Fi network for it to work.
To mirror your iPhone to the Roku, simply duplicate the screen on the TV or projector. That is, what you see is a mirror image of what is on your device. This is a convenient way to transfer photos, videos, music, apps and games from iOS or Android devices to your TV or projector screen.
How To Tech has created a simple video on how to transfer iPhone apps to Roku. You can check it out below:
If you want to stream from your phone to the Roku, you need to understand what casting is. Let’s take a closer look.
What is casting on Roku?
WithCasting, you can watch content from channels supported by Roku without necessarily streaming everything that appears on your phone. People often confuse casting with mirroring, but they are far from the same thing.
Information such as music, photos and personal videos stored on your phone cannot be downloaded to the Roku. The best choice for this purpose is mirroring.
To play specific apps, download the free Roku app on your phone and select Play on Roku in the app to stream that content from your iOS or Android device to the TV screens.
Related: TCL Roku Smart TV Universal Remote Controls : 7 Best
Prepare the Roku for streaming (mirroring)
If you plan to mirror content from your phone to the Roku, you must first prepare the Roku player. This is what you need to do on your device.
- Step: In the left navigation pane of the Roku home screen, go to Settings > System > System Update and make sure you have the latest version of Roku OS installed.
- Step 2: Back to page House. Now go to Settings > System.
- Step 3: Now select Mirror screen.
- Step 4: The last step is to enable screen mirroring. Under Screen mirroring mode, select Always allow.
Android data power requirements
You can prepare your Android phone for Roku by following these simple steps.
- Step: Make sure your phone has version 4.4.2 or or higher installed. You can do this quickly by going to Settings and clicking on Info. Update if necessary.
- Step 2: Make sure the Roku and Android are on the same Wi-Fi network. Check the settings on both devices to make sure the Wi-Fi network names are identical.
To stream video from your phone to the Roku: Android OS
Once you’ve got the green light on the above steps, you can start mirroring. On the Android device, perform the following steps:
- Step: Open Settings.
- Step 2: Select Display.
- Step 3: Select option Cast screen . From the top right menu, select Turn on radio display.
- Step 4: Press the Connect key.
Almost all Android devices can be configured by following the steps above. The nomenclature may be different on some devices, but a close look at the option settings should be enough to understand what is what.
To stream video from your phone to the Roku: iPhone /iOS
So the process of streaming your phone to Roku will be even easier if you have a Roku iPhone device prepared.
Follow these simple steps to mirror your iPhone to your Roku device.
- Step: Open Control Center on your iPhone .
- On newer iOS devices, simply swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to access these settings.
- On iPhone 8 and earlier models, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Step 2: Press the large Screen Mirroring button in front of you.
- Step 3: Select Device Roku – Make sure iPhone and Roku are connected to the same WIFI network for the device to be detected and the connection to be successful.
- Step 4: Enter the TV code on your iPhone.
- Step 5: Press OK to mirror your iPhone to your Roku .
In five easy steps you have successfully connected and mirrored your iPhone on your Roku device!
Streaming from phone to Roku: Tips and Tricks
While the process of streaming video from your phone to the Roku is pretty straightforward, there are a few important things to watch out for.
- As mentioned earlier, your Roku and your mobile device must be on the same Wi-Fi network. Some routers offer both 24 gigahertz and 5 gigahertz capabilities. Make sure they’re both working on the same thing.
- Only applications and channels supported by Roku allow casting.
- If you’re having trouble playing on your Roku device, the first and best thing you can do is restart the device.
Related: What are the best remote controls for YouTube TV?
I hope you found this article about streaming videos from the Roku useful. If so, leave a comment below and let me know.
The ease of use and unmatched streaming capabilities make the Roku the ultimate streaming set-top box. It’s also cheap and easy to set up.
Whether it’s sharing photos, apps or even documents and data, streaming your phone to Roku on iOS and Android devices can take communication to a whole new level.
About the author
Tim Brennan, technical writer and blogger
Tim Brennan [also known as. Tec Timmy] is a senior technical writer with over 25 years of experience writing for companies and organizations in and around the Boston area, including GE and MIT. Tim not only actively writes about universal remotes, but also regularly contributes to the smart home blog oneSmartcrib.com. Tim holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from Northeastern University. Brennan is a father of two sons, is obsessed with Star Wars and loves a good taco. There’s a good chance he’s in love with Amazon Alexa. You can read more about Tim here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I mirror my iPhone to my Roku?
To mirror your iPhone to your Roku, you will need to use the AirPlay feature.
Can I stream from my phone to Roku?
Yes, you can stream from your phone to Roku.
How do I cast my Android phone to Roku?
You can cast your Android phone to Roku using the Google Home app.
Feedback,cast android to roku 2020cast to roku from androidmirroring android phone on rokuandroid screen mirroringhow to connect phone to roku tv iphonehow to mirror phone to roku tv,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,cast android to roku 2020,best screen mirroring app for android to roku,cast to roku from android,mirroring android phone on roku,android screen mirroring,how to connect phone to roku tv iphone,how to mirror android to roku without wifi,how to mirror phone to roku tv